Monday, January 26, 2009

"Green" Tree Calendar

It was impossible for me to find a calendar this last December which is a BIG problem.  I depend on my calendars, without them I am awash in a sea of days and unstuck in time!! lol  I was shown a contest by Remy for "Sewing With Nature" and decided to turn my quest for a calendar into my project.









When considering how many calendars are printed each year and then thrown out each December 31st, it's no wonder that our planet is in crisis.  In order to cut down on the amount of paper wasted in a calendar, I decided to create a green calendar that would not use paper but would instead be made of cloth and velcro so that the days could be rearranged for each new month.  I also designed the picture above to be able to change with the seasons, and what better way to represent seasonal change than with a tree.









For each new seasons the tree changes from bare limbs to young leaves with flowers.  It then changes to a full summer canopy with apples and finally to a bright display of fall colors.  The different tree tops are attached by velcro sewn onto their backs.













Overall I'm very pleased with how this turned out and I plan to use it for many years to come!

Other pictures: 

Close up of the tree

The backing

Ribbon and branch hanger

No comments:

Post a Comment